Monday, September 6, 2010

September 6

Today is Monday, September 6, 2010. It's 3:40 pm in Uganda and I hope to sit down and write information to let you know what has been happening.  I have tried to add photos but so far I am unable to.


I arrived in Entebbee on Wednesday, September 1 at around 8 pm. There to meet me at the airport were 4 wonderful fellows. Ivan - the founder, George, Eric and the driver. I don't know who was more happy me or the fellows.

We drove for about 45 minutes to my hotel - Hotel Florida - with a warm reception from the manager - Stephens. I got a choice of rooms and opted for the one with the balcony facing out to the road. It has a flush toilet - Praise the Lord. The fellows said their good nights and I proceeded to unpack.

The next morning I had breakfast of scrambled eggs and white toast, a piece of fresh pineapple and juice. A new driver,Richard,  along with Ivan picked me up so I could go to the bank and open an account as well as getting a case of water. He then dropped Ivan and I off at Ivan's home where I met his girlfriend, Littia, and the surprise he said he had - their 6 month old son, FRED.
 We had much to talk about dealing with the project. Eric came as well as George. Lillia fed me 'lunch' and later dinner. I'll explain the food later. The electricity went out at about 6:30 and about 8 pm the driver Richard, came and picked us up. Flashlights are a necessity. Totally exhausted but what an experience. Ivan's home has 2 small roms. Cooking is outside on a small grill (charcoal). The bathroom is outside of course with a hole in the ground. I tried to hold it but nature forced me to use it. Oh my goodness - my knees are very weak and it's a long way down and....... So far I haven't had to use another. I hold when I'm in the village.

Friday, September 3, Eddie is now the driver. We went to the village and met with the chairperson and the committee of the village of course as well as some of the children. There were many other children who were not registered gathered. If you have any idea about .the book - where's waldo - That's what I felt like. Met with Jaja (grand) mother. Met every child there and gave each a sucker. You'll probably see this in some of my presentations. I had picked up bananas for the children as well but they didn't receive them until we were leaving.

We walked to see where the possible school was. There are four rooms each about 9'x9' - not sure where the children would fit, but had a good sized yard and a place for a toilet. They tried to negotiate with the owner but his price was so high and he wanted the money for 3 years!!! More that I had in total. I even volunteered to give him $400 US right there for the year. He said no. Ivan thought we could build a classroom on his grandmother's site for that amount and it would be permanent (kinda). Well long and short we got the men who would build the classroom drew lines in the dirt and figured how much material we would need. You must realize this is very primative but wonderful. We left the village for the 2 hour drive back to Zana where my hotel is. Tried to exchange some US $100 bills but the bank would not accept them because they were made in 1990"s. They only would exchange the ones that were amde in the 2000's. Lesson to be learned. Exhausted but excited that the next day we would be shopping in the villages on the way to Buwundo to pick up the supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment